Office Operations During COVID-19
In an effort to keep the public and city employees safe, reduced city staffing will be available to assist you during this time. The city offices will not be open to the public. If you need to submit an application for a land use permit or building permit we will be accepting applications by email. If email submission is not possible due to plan file size or other barrier, submissions may be made appointment. Where possible, permits will be issued electronically, or by appointment as well by calling
Building Permits Required
All new construction, additions, basement finishes, remodeling, siding, re-roofs, window replacement, and water heater and furnace replacements require a building permit and a building inspection. A building permit and inspections means that your home or commercial building:
- Ensures your structure was built according to the approved plans
- Meets standards for safety
- Provides proof to insurance agencies that the work was done with a permit and safety requirements were met
Sheds and Accessory Structures
- Accessory structures 200 square feet and larger require a building permit.
- Accessory structures containing power, plumbing, or heating require a building permit.
- Accessory structures under 200 square feet require a land use permit (no fee).
- Placement of accessory structures
- Land Use Permit Form
- Sample Site Plan example
- Accessory Dwelling Units (basement apartments, mother-in-law apartments, tiny homes, etc.)
- Short term rentals (Vacation Rental Units)
Prior to all demolition the building must be inspected or asbestos by a State certified asbestos inspector and a copy of the certification must be submitted with the demolition permit. More information can be from the Utah Department of Environmental Quality.
Scheduling an Inspection
Building inspections are available between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday. To schedule an inspection, please call
Note: We ask that the contractor on record call in all inspections. Times given for inspections are not exact as the schedule may vary depending on workload, travel time, etc.
Temporary Dumpsters and Portable Storage
Temporary dumpsters and portable storage containers are permitted to be placed in a city street under certain circumstances for a maximum of 14 days. Permits are issued by the City Engineering Department. More information here.