NSL Reads Presents: A Fantasy Writing Workshop for All Ages
Join us for this year's writing workshop and spend an evening featuring Lisa Mangum, author of "The Hourglass Door" series, and Daniel Coleman, author of "Gifts and Consequences, Jabberwocky, and Hatter."
Date: May 18, 2017
Time: 7 - 8:30 p.m.
Place: NSL City Hall, 10 East Center Street, North Salt Lake
4th Annual Writing Competition
Abracadabra! Write a short story featuring magic.
There are four categories based on the author’s age as of October 2, 2017. Adults are not permitted to assist teens, preteens, or children with their submissions.
- Adult (18 years or older)
- Teen (13 to 17 years)
- Preteen (9 to 12 years)
- Child (8 years or younger)
Three prizes will be awarded in each age category:
- First ($50 gift card to The King’s English Bookshop)
- Second ($25 gift card to The King’s English Bookshop)
- Third ($10 gift card to The King’s English Bookshop)
1. Contact Information: Include a cover page with your submission containing your name and age category, the title of your submission, the word count, and your contact information (mailing address, telephone number, and email address). Put the title and page number on each page of your submission. Don’t put your name on your submission. Manuscripts will not be returned.
2. Word Count: Adult submissions may contain up to 3,000 words, teen submissions up to 2,000 words, preteen submissions up to 1,000 words, and child submissions up to 500 words.
3. Format: Submissions should use 12 pt. font and be double spaced, except that preteen and child submissions may be handwritten. If submissions are emailed, they must be saved as a Word document or a PDF file.
4. Deadline: The deadline is Monday, October 2, 2017, at 5 p.m. Submissions may be emailed or hand-delivered/mailed to:
NSL Reads Annual Writing Competition
10 E Center Street
North Salt Lake, UT 84054
5. Announcement of Winners: Winners will be announced at the NSL Reads Night of Magic, a free, family event on Thursday, October 12, 2017, 6:30 p.m., at City Hall, 10 E Center Street, North Salt Lake, Utah. Winners are encouraged to invite their family and friends. For more info, visit NSLCITY.ORG and click “City Events and NSL Live” or email.